Monday, September 22, 2008

Yes She Can!

Don't worry, I'm not really a supporter of Sarah Palin, or John McCain for that matter, I am merely quoting the new line of campaign signs I have seen around Winnetka this past week. I've seen about 10 of them on the fronts of houses, or attached to the trees in front yards, and they are priceless. I tried for like 15 minutes to find a picture of one, but to no avail, so I will try to describe it. Basically you've got a white poster board. On the top it reads "Yes, She Can!" in some lame Microsoft Word font. Below that is a nice, big, proud American flag. Then, on the bottom, is written "You Go Sarah!" in an even lamer Word font. Overall, not that great to look at. On Saturday I walked up to one to get a better look. I've determined that they are probably being made and distributed by someone locally, for they have no '.com' or anything that would associated to the McCain campaign. I just realized that rhymes. Anyways, they are homemade. These signs are merely proof that Palin is not being considered a political candidate. She is definitley not being thought of as the woman that will become president if/when McCain bites the dust. The homemade, Word font signs seem more appropriate for a sports team. "You Go Sarah!"...c'mon. This is a presidential race, not a high stakes sporting event. Despite their humorous qualities, these signs are really interesting when analyzing the tactics being employed by each campaign. Although these signs are not being created by the McCain campaign (rhyme) itself, they are being made by its loving supporters. And they are, after all, the voters that could win these two the office. All I can say is that I hope the people proudly displaying these Palin signs are putting more thought into their vote than they would for a decision on who to root for in a Cubs/Sox World Series. 

1 comment:

Mr. Lawler said...

An interesting commentary, but try to make a clearer connection to the course content. Here's an idea: think of the sign as a visual argument and connect it to our text, "Everything's An Argument."